Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Key To My Heart is the Key to Your Doom

The theme for this piece was "Lock It." Let me start out by saying this piece literally drained me. I was so excited to start and had the idea in my head for about a week. To put it down to basics: Me, one week, hours of drafting, hours of coloring, very little sleep.
Okay moving on, because I have moved on to playing cards I decided to continue that route in a less literal fashion. In my research for our last assignment, I found out the Club suit is many times associated with marriage. Also there's this metaphor, saying in marriage the man represent the key and the woman represents the lock. To incorporate these two concepts I had the woman's body shaped like a key and have the key look like a Club, holding a heart shaped locket. I wanted to invoke a play on words ( Lock It=Locket), and invoke two meanings with the picture. One the woman is the key to her own lock and two ....well... notice the vague hand in the cell reaching for the lock and the small 'A' on the woman's cheek? I'll leave the viewer to come up with their own thought. Now some may be wondering why I didn't use the Heart suit. Well, I think it's grossly over used and I wanted to try something...interesting....

No comments:

Post a Comment